Tuesday 2 August 2016

The rest of Hobart ….?

First posted on March 10, 2013

The Antarctic supply ship Aurora Australis was berthed at the main dock, getting ready for another journey south. I have memories of the Antarctic “Dan” ships being berthed in Melbourne back when I was young, seeing them from the train as it approached Flinders Street from Spencer Street. That area is so built up now, no docks, that I almost wonder if I imagined it. I don’t think so. It was a happy coincidence then to see a painting of the Nella Dan when I visited the Maritime Museum.
Nella Dan
This is a small, friendly, beautifully-kept gallery, well worth the short time it takes to visit. I bought my only souvenir here – a nautical design tea towel! It appealed to me but it’s strong blue background doesn’t go so well in what I think of as my green kitchen. It isn’t really green, just that there’s more green than blue stuff in it. Weird!
There was another boat of note that had just arrived in town, the trimaran Kermandie. It had been attempting to break sailing records from Sydney to Hobart but missed by a few hours I believe. A pretty impressive sight all the same.
"Kermandie"
Packing up after sailing from Sydney
A trip to Hobart isn’t complete without a visit to the Saturday market at Salamanca Place. It’s definitely expanded since my last visit there. I looked only so closely at everything though because I didn’t want to spend lots of money – it would be oh so easy. I restricted myself to a red bead necklace …. and the aforementioned Eccles cakes!
            Half of Salamanca market – the rest is 
   hidden by the trees, to the right and up the hill a bit
At the market there's junk and jewellery, cakes, handicrafts, clothing, you name it and ....
... gorgeous fresh produce
Walking back and forth to the waterfront, several times I passed through St David’s Park, formerly a cemetery, with some headstones and monuments still in place
St David's Park
… and Parliament Square, the gardens/lawns in front of Parliament House. At the latter on Saturday afternoon were two sights of interest. Some lovely old MGs
I 'love' old cars!
… and a group of Hare Krishnas were doing their thing with a few tourists (surely not) or locals (surely not) joining in. I have to confess, grown men skipping around in a circle puzzle me. Perhaps it’s the money! Later I saw the leader driving away in a BIG Merc!!
Unfortunately, the art gallery was closed for renovations, due to re-open a month later. No doubt MONA has caused them to re-think their whole operation even though there is room enough for both organisations to co-exist happily.
One aspect of Hobart reminded me of my recent ‘long way round’ trip to Canberra. Basically it’s a country town, albeit larger than all those on my route to Canberra and with all modern services in situ. But it’s low rise and retains so many beautiful old buildings, plus some interesting not-so-old ones too. It’s not that Melbournians don’t value their heritage, just that they can’t fight the clout of “developers” and their politician mates who are all for the fast buck. Hard to see any future heritage value in Melbourne’s glass and steel boxes – except as a warning, not to be repeated.

                Grain silos converted to apartments
                          Treasury Building
                        Random streetscape
                     Hobart city police building
The very narrow ... Kodak House
Cascade Brewery Office – the original?
Reminiscent of Aberdeen ...
I don't know if the building is faced with granite but it looks like it
The interior of St Joseph’s Church, across from my hotel
Looking suspiciously like a converted warehouse
           Hydro-Electricity Commission, circa 1940
Back to the waterfront ......
                            The fishing fleet