Tuesday 2 August 2016

Culture in Cairns

First posted on May 11, 2013

After a quick bite, not so much to nourish as to cool me down – ice cream of course! – I hit the culture trail. First there was the museum of modern art – nothing there to tempt me to linger! 
Next, to the Cairns Regional Gallery where I was especially interested to see that “After Afghanistan” had travelled north.

These are paintings commissioned by the Australian War Memorial which by definition gave the title “War Artist” to Ben Quilty. I’d seen an episode of Australian Story (ABC TV) about this series not all that long ago. With my son David having returned there (without even saying goodbye) it was all the more moving. It’s not a place you return from unscathed and you can see it in these paintings.

There were a couple of other exhibitions at the Cairns Regional Gallery too – one of weird sculptures, the other on a theme of feathers – one reminded me of a skateboard! They don’t have a collection of their own, everything is visiting. For a small city that strikes me as a good way to go.
Finally, Cairns Library. This appeared to be housed in re-badged former council chambers, a lovely looking older building.

There were lots of people there in a well laid out space, some big old rooms blending seamlessly with newer spaces created by (it looked like) knocking out some walls and glassing in some verandahs. A very pleasant place with a lovely piece of stained glass near the entrance, presenting aspects of Cairns and surrounds.

And … aaaaaah …. at last, crippled, I hobbled back to the hotel to rest, rest, rest my weary legs. The feet were holding up OK!!