Tuesday 2 August 2016

Hobart ahoy!

First posted on February 17, 2013

I got back from Canberra with a couple of vague plans but nothing specific on the agenda. Two weeks later, out of the blue, came an email at work from the Victorian Library Technicians group: Who wants to go to Hobart? 
They had organised a weekend trip to do a DIY tour of the Tasmanian State Library complex (including the Allport Museum and Art Gallery, the State Library of Tasmania Reading Room, the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office History Room) with materials supplied by the library, and a behind the scenes visit to the library, with the librarian, at the Museum of Old and New Art.
When I saw MONA on the itinerary, I was sold. I’d wanted to go there since seeing the book about the place that friend Lynne’s son-in-law had been given after he worked on the exhibition/display lighting during construction of the museum/gallery. That was a couple of years ago and I still hadn’t got myself organised to cross Bass Strait. So what better than someone else doing the organising for me? Actually, planning for trips has always been part of the pleasure of anticipation for me. So I’ve been surprised at how lovely, freeing, it has been to say “Yes, I’ll be in that” as the plan has evolved and developed at the hands of others. 

Roll on next Friday …. too late now to do anything but go with the flow of the 7.00am flight that I booked in a moment of insanity!