Tuesday 2 August 2016

On the road to Adelaide

First posted on February 26, 2014

The second half of the trip to Adelaide, or more particularly, Glenelg, was a bit hit and miss but basically it was a good day. I was glad to watch safely from a distance when the car in front of me had to take evasive action when a big truck veered across the road. And I was definitely glad not to be involved in the mangle of vehicles at the turn-off to Tailem Bend (where I had lunch). That had happened not long before I had to negotiate around the scene – emergency vehicles were still arriving. Thankfully it looked like the humans were OK.
Former railway station, now tourist info centre
In between those two was my first unexpected bonus. After breakfast in Bordertown I dropped into the local library, attracted by its stained glass windows! The staff were welcoming and the manager on duty spent quite a bit of time chatting with me. It turned out we had a bit in common. She’d been in public libraries for 9 years but before that was at a university library in Adelaide working in health and law. So it was comparing notes plus learning a few things.
Stained Glass
Bordertown Public Library
At Murray Bridge, the bridge crosses more land than water and the rail bridge barely rates a mention.
Murray Bridge - trains left, all other traffic right
By the time I crossed the bridge, I’d pretty much left the countryside behind, with its current bounty and past history.
Haystacks, Lillimur South
Stories to tell? - Lillimur South
I was sad however that Hahndorf (one of my two aims for the day) was a miss. I remembered it, from 40+ years ago, it must be said, as a pretty little village. But now it is one more tourist trap with the usual plethora of cafés and trinket shops. The Lutheran church was the loveliest building there.
St Michael's Lutheran Church, Hahndorf
On looking to escape Hahndorf as quickly as possible, I looked for a route to Mt Lofty, my other main aim of the day. Lo and behold, I spotted Woodside on the map, within easy reach. This was the base to which my David was posted when he’d completed his Army basic training. This was my second unexpected bonus of the day – a very pleasant drive in countryside that was very different to what I’d imagined: more built up and greener, with English trees even, than I’d imagined.


The downside was that the gate guard (civilian, not Army!) told me that the base had been divided in two with one half given over as a detention centre for refugees. Worse, he was upset that the refugees were taken off base for outings. Australia’s shame. The only saving grace is that at least this base is not in the blazing heat and isolation of the Australian desert.
Leaving Woodside, I easily found the road to Mt Lofty. Another beautiful drive, apart from being tail-gated through some steep twists by a crazy P-plater. The views from the summit were extensive but distant enough from Adelaide for the city to be not terribly clear. But looking down into the valleys with vineyards in late afternoon sunshine was stunning.
Piccadilly Valley from Mt Lofty
Finally, on to Glenelg, my home for four nights. From Mt Lofty I joined the freeway at Crafers. Wow! Downhill all the way to the Glenelg turn-off. Exhilarating!!
The motel room was well set up, and not far from the beach. If it’s a picnic to have takeaway souvlaki for tea on the beach, in the company of seagulls as the sun sets, then I had a picnic!
Glenelg