Monday 1 August 2016

Cootamundra

First posted on December 31, 2012

Yesterday was pretty much about getting to where I wanted to be. Today the tourist thing began in earnest … and from the beginning it has been turning up surprises. I got away on time. First surprise!
I was going to drive straight past Henty but because I had time to spare – brunch at Wagga where the one thing I wanted to see, the National Art Glass Collection, didn’t open until noon – I thought “What the heck” and turned off the highway (here a one lane in each direction affair) into the main street. I stopped because a newsagent was open – I’ve brought everything with me but the kitchen sink – and stamps!
That need satisfied, I opened my eyes to some lovely old buildings – and an art deco office block. Not what I’d have ever guessed was in this part of the world. And so it’s proved, a smattering of art deco in all the towns I’ve visited. It’s a delight to see all the old buildings, of whatever style, and sad to think that so little of Melbourne’s built heritage remains, so much history being bulldozed so “developers” can make a fast buck. And we give our politicians the green light to let this happen. We’re so stupid.


Henty
Wagga Wagga, Junee and Cootamundra are names familiar to me from Sydney-Melbourne train journeys, the first when I was eight and went to the Sisters of Charity Centenary combined school sports! The most recent probably 20+ years ago. I’ve been to Wagga once that wasn’t passing through on the train: coffee after David’s Marching Out Parade after he’d completed his Army basic training just down the road at Kapooka. I passed the entrance to the base on my approach to town.

Crows on the city coat of arms?! It must be Wagga! In contrast, I’m enjoying the lack of political correctness that is eliminating Christ from Christmas (whatever that means to anyone) in big cities …. cribs are all over the place in both public buildings and shops. This one at the Wagga Wagga Civic Centre, outside the library and just across the corridor from the art gallery so would be seen by a lot of people …

No photos allowed inside the National Art Glass Collection. There’s no conservation reason for that to be so, so they quote copyright. Bah!
National Glass Collection
Wagga Court House
Wagga Court Offices
The size of Junee was a revelation … and what its importance must have been in the past, judging by the grandeur of the buildings.




Junee
The big drawcard now though is the licorice and chocolate factory, housed in a former flour mill. It was fascinating to hear how licorice is made – it’s mostly flour!! I didn’t know that. Unfortunately though, nothing, licorice or chocolate, was being made when I was there. The coffee purists would hate it but I rather enjoyed a caramel latte for afternoon tea! They’re generous with handing out samples. If you ever get the chance to try/buy chocolate coated freeze-dried strawberries – do not on any account pass it up! I’ve never had anything so delicious and decadent.
Junee licorice factory
Melt and mix - a bit like making concrete!
A bit too much chocolate for me - but look at all those 100s and 1000s!
Purchases for the day … as if I didn’t have enough leftover wool to make dozens of beanies, at Henty I bought one for Rufus (coming up to his first birthday) because I loved the colours. At the Gallery in Wagga, a little bird made of blue glass. And at Junee, licorice of course. Not much because most of the offerings were chocolate coated and wouldn’t travel well at all in the heat.
Brunch at Wagga, as planned. Not exciting. As I found in Benalla and smelled at Junee too, going past or into some food shops is awful – the unappetizing smell of hot tar from the road outside mixed with the off odour of oil from the fryer that hasn’t been changed often enough. Yuk!

Tonight I ate at the local leagues club, a NSW speciality. Cheap food, subsidised by the losers who play the pokies in the gaming room and the gamblers who buy raffle tickets – yes, they really do raffle trays of meat, and a seasonal speciality (the now leftover!) Christmas puddings. A whole stream of winning numbers was called out as I ate. Afterwards, a walk up and down the main streets of Cootamundra before driving back to the motel for a cooling dip in the pool, then a shower and blogging, wondering if I’ll get to sleep tonight. The air-con is working – which I only realised when I got up close to it … yes, it’s warm inside!




Cootamundra
My closing thought for the day will be of country kindness. Out of Wagga I stopped to take a photo of the gently rolling countryside. I’d barely got my camera out let alone got out of the car before a ute pulled up in front of me. Was I OK? asked the lovely young man in his wide-brimmed bushie’s hat, navy singlet, shorts and Blundstones. I was both pleased and embarrassed to say Thank You, I was fine. But the kindness has floated me through the rest of the day.


On the road from Wagga