Monday 1 August 2016

Chiltern

First posted on January 8, 2013

Not quite such a leisurely start on Sunday morning. Alison had work to do on her PhD thesis and I had to start heading for home. But first, brunch in Kingston followed by a visit to the Canberra glassworks, housed in a former powerhouse. The glassworks is by a Sunday market and I thought I spotted it. No, the market is still on its Christmas/New Year break. That crowd was the Epiphany procession from the nearby Orthodox church!
Old Canberra powerhouse, now home to glassworks
As if it wasn’t hot enough already! (At times on this trip you could feel the car tyres sticking to the tarmac!!) It was fascinating, watching a blob turn into a delicate bowl, so we kept on watching, getting more sweat-drenched by the minute. I was anyway! It’s one of those painstaking crafts that I wouldn’t have the patience to do but love the end result.


You can do classes there and make simple things without blowing. I wouldn’t mind trying to make a paperweight! No need to explain the whatever weird shape it turned out. It would be ‘right’ …. artistic even. Ha ha!



Having bade good-bye to Joseph the previous evening, now it was time to say good-bye to Alison when I dropped her back home. Until next time, of course! I prefer to fill the tank at the start of a day’s driving so pulled into the queue at Yass services. And what a queue! After sitting for a while I decided to rearrange the bits and pieces in the car. Then I sat for a while longer. Finally, I pulled out of the queue and joined the Hume. Goodness knows where all the vehicles had come from, with all their various towed jet-skis, surf-boards, cars!, and goodness knows what hidden under tarps. There was no queue at all at Jugiong. Probably not as many people as I did paid 159.9/litre! It was only 130.9/litre at Holbrook, where I stopped for a late afternoon tea. Early afternoon tea had been at Gundagai – the town, not by the Dog on the Tuckerbox!
I hadn’t intended pulling into Jugiong – memories of doing that with my dear, much missed (deceased last year) friend Brenda a few years ago, laughing at the funny name of the place. But it was the first petrol point after Yass. On the way out of that tiny hamlet I stopped at the lookout point – beautiful countryside.

Views over Jugiong
Apart from the breaks at Gundagai and Holbrook, it was straight through to Chiltern, a hot day’s driving, thankful I wasn’t driving straight home. Tea at a local pub – I think the first ‘home made’ quiche I’ve had that has been home made! Delicious, with lovely flaky pastry. Followed by an early night, or so I thought!
For the past few days there had been a lot of little insects about, liberally sprinkled on the car whenever I stopped. I arrived in Canberra with a streaming nose, a ‘mind over matter’ result from thinking an insect went up my nose the previous night in Cowra. No – whatever it was, it was ‘just a tickle’. 
I experienced the real thing in Chiltern – an insect in my ear! I could hear and feel it flapping about. Jumping under the shower at 1.15am to flush it out wasn’t the sort of sleep I’d been hoping for! Nor when you could feel the insects on your skin. After the ear episode I pulled the sheet over me almost like a shroud.
In the morning outside the motel room door ….