Tuesday 2 August 2016

After the library visits ….

First posted on February 28, 2014

… I took myself off to the Adelaide Botanic Garden, drawn by the buildings there rather than the plants! In particular I was drawn to ....
Palm House
Amazon Lily Pavilion
Amazon Lily pads - amazing! 
Bicentennial Conservatory
The conservatory reminded me very much of my visit to the butterfly house at Kuranda in 2011. Tropical rain forest, very humid – minus the butterflies.

Outside the Palm House was a great collection of cacti and succulents – suburban gardens will be planted with these rather than roses, camellias and the like in the not too distant future.


Because it was near the Water Lily Pavilion and it hadn’t quite closed, a few minutes to go, I nicked into the Museum of Economic Botany – what a fantastic place! I was sorry I didn’t have a lot longer there.



Fake fungi
Seeds and plants, timber and reeds. So many varieties of fungi, apples, pears and more. The seeds, timber etc were real but the perishables were models – though if placed in the supermarket you would be hard pressed to find the fake. It reminded me of the models of flowers and plants that I saw at the Natural History Museum at Harvard in 2011.

Last but not least, it was good to get up close to the waterlilies that couldn’t be seen from such close quarters when on a boat in billabongs at Kakadu.
To end the day there was more food  – half of the group met for a meal at the Dublin Hotel in Glenelg. I suppose they serve green beer on St Patrick’s Day but it was hard to see what made it an Irish pub, apart from the name. OK food, Very Slow service. I suggested that instead of leaving a tip we could throw the loose change onto the sand at the beach for some lucky prospector to find. Imagine my surprise when I later discovered at Victor Harbour that beach prospecting hasn’t gone completely out of fashion!!! :-)
Prospector - Victor Harbour