Sunday 27 May 2012

Alice Springs - Day 9, 20 May 2012


Flying home, like flying to Alice, makes you aware of how vast Australia is. Largely uninhabitable but, oh!, what a fabulously beautiful place it is.


Small section of Lake Eyre!
Living in the “leafy eastern suburbs” I don't come face to face with the aboriginal “problem”. On this trip I did. To see indigenous people wandering around aimlessly, some of them drunk, made me think we're going to need to keep saying Sorry for many years to come.

One human intervention that was really impressive - use of solar power. Many houses have panels on their roofs and there are at least two fields of panels supplying one third of the power needs of Alice Springs. More of us should copy this initiative.

Back when I was at school, the geography class went on the “Central Australia Trip”. I've finally been lucky enough to catch up with them.
Sturt's Desert Rose
Floral Emblem of the Northern Territory