Monday 14 May 2012

Alice Springs - Day 2, 13 May 2012

After a few years it was back to a group tour today, the first of three during my stay in Alice. This was to the West MacDonnell Ranges. I really enjoyed it. And it upset a few of my expectations. The centre isn't as red as I expected; the area more hilly; the ranges not so mountainous; many more rivers than I realised, though mostly dry but not all the time; more treed; more green, though not green-green, more sage and olive.

We stopped at …

Simpson's Gap                                                                             
Simpson's Gap
Simpson's Gap





Standley Chasm (my favourite, I think)

Standley Chasm
At Standley Chasm













 
The Ochre Pits (ochre dug out of walls not pans, as I'd imagined)

Ochre Pits
Ochre Pits  
Ormiston Gorge (running close to if not equal with Standley Chasm as my favourite) … my tentative confidence in tackling the King's Canyon rim walk took a dint here. I didn't climb up to the Ghost Gum Lookout – wasn't 100% convinced I'd get there and back in the allotted time. Saw a couple of rock wallabies – leaping about like mountain goats. Fun to watch.
Ghost Gum Lookout - Ormiston Gorge

Ormiston Gorge


Ormiston Gorge
Ormiston Gorge
The Finke River at Glen Helen Gorge …. with water in it!
Finke River, Glen Helen Gorge
Finke River, Glen Helen Gorge
Ellery Big Hole (also pretty impressive) … let's face it, it was all pretty spectacular. This is a big swimming hole. The water was too cold for all but the most hardy to swim in, i.e. everyone on my tour stayed out of the water. So I wasted money on buying new bathers but did save the embarrassment of getting out in them!

Ellery Big Hole
Ellery Big Hole


Ellery Big Hole
Ellery Big Hole
Flynn's Grave plus some iconic ghost gums painted by Albert Namatjira and several lookout points for simply stunning views.
Flynn's Grave
No Swimming
The West Macs
Mt Sonder
There were 14 people on the tour and we would have been covered for medical emergencies. There was a doctor, a final year medical student – from my work!!, a physio, a nurse and another health person whose profession I didn't find out. The nurse works in acute care for most of the year and comes to Alice for a couple of months each year and works as a nurse in a different area, this year geriatrics. The rest are in Alice for a conference about aboriginal health. There was also an older retired couple, three young people from Singapore, a translator from Italy (professionally English and Russian but also speaks French, German and Polish), an English ESL teacher, and a lawyer. Not your average crowd!


12,800+ steps for the counters.