Saturday 19 May 2012

Alice Springs – Day 5, 16 May 2012

My swag by pre-dawn camp fire










Ooh, it got cold sleeping in the swag! The first night I was using a knitted jacket as a booster pillow but managed to put it on without getting out of the sleeping bag. The next night I wore the clothes that I was going to wear the next day and put thermals over the top. I wasn't going to have a shower that second night – hot water but freezing once you turned the taps off - but got covered in carbon when collecting wood for the camp fire – the wood came from burned trees. But then, it's been cold in bed at my hotel. The nights in this area are cold. All the same, it was fun looking up at all the stars and, the second night, with the flames leaping …. and getting smoked.
Uluru at sunrise
Kata Tjuta at dawn










I didn't freeze too long in the swag. It was up and at it at 5.15am both mornings. First to get to Kata Tjuta for sunrise. From the viewing area you could see both Uluru and what used to be called the Olgas. Then on to do the 'Valley of the Winds' walk. It was quite a bit shorter than walking around Uluru but degree of difficulty was way higher. So much so that I decided not to do the rim walk at King's Canyon. More great scenery, up and down rough hills and dales. I slipped sideways on gravel at one point and two or three of the young ones kept an eye on me thereafter! Afterwards I read that walk is rated 'difficult'. Might have guessed! Next, lunch and on to King's Creek Station for the second night.
Valley of the Winds map
Valley of the Winds
Kata Tjuta
Kata Tjuta

























I was more useful collecting firewood en route than I was at kitchen duties. Also en route we stopped to look at a salt lake. Walking up the dune to see it we walked on the softest, finest red sand. Beautiful stuff.
Salt lake, red sand
Collecting firewood











It's been many years since I sat by a fire outdoors, back to bonfire night when I was a kid probably. In a 'small world' moment I discovered that one of the backpacker couples had stayed a street away from where I grew up and walked in the park where those childhood bonfires were held. Dinner was interesting. I've always said I wouldn't eat the national emblem or noxious weeds. That still holds true for prickly pear but I did taste kangaroo. Don't need to try it again. Camel either. That was on the lunch menu. On the other hand, the damper was great!
Damper
Warming my toes













And so to bed for my second night in a swag, 15,200 rather tough steps later.