Sunday 20 May 2012

Alice Springs – Day 6, 17 May 2012


My second night in a swag wasn't quite as chilly as the first: going to sleep and waking up to a fire helped, as did wearing more clothes and snuggling further down into the sleeping bag. Once again, after the half hour drive from King's Creek Station, our group was first to arrive at the next tourist spot. This time King's Canyon, now known as Watarrka. I was the only one of our group who didn't go on the rim walk. I might have made it, in fact I was told Heart Attack Hill plus walk was no more difficult than the previous day, but with the cumulative effect of the previous two days' walks, it would have been hard enough work that it wouldn't have been enjoyable. 
Heart Attack Hill (lowest third), Watarrka
That didn't mean I missed out. I had the immense pleasure of doing the creek walk, only 1 km into the floor of the canyon, along the creek bed, although the only water was a small water hole which I had to scramble over rocks to reach. So it wasn't all an easy stroll!
Creek bed
Canyon wall
Flora


Head of canyon
Canyon wall with tree shadows
Waterhole
Canyon wall
Waterhole
Waterhole
Fauna
At the end of the walk is a small viewing platform with some seats. For a long time I had the place to myself. I read a little but mostly I simply breathed in the peace, listening to the wind in the trees, the birds, the silence. 

At one point cooee and hellos were yelled down to me from the canyon rim by the rest of the tour party. They missed a magical experience. 
Tour group peer over canyon rim
The following day I happened upon some French backpackers (siphoning off some electricity from a power point they'd found at ANZAC Hill!) who were heading down that way in a couple of days. Since they could set their own itinerary, I urged them to do both the rim and creek walks to get the most from their visit.
French backpackers 'liberating' some Australian electricity
After lunch at King's Creek Station it was the long drive back to Alice Springs. There were the obligatory rest stops, one (again, as on the way down) at Erldunda Resort. Most places are called 'resort' but instead of the luxury idyll the word conjures up, usually it covers the most basic place where you'd stop to sleep then move on quickly. The other stop was at a camel farm. Rides were available and a couple of people took the opportunity. Me, I don't see why any animal should have to carry me around just for the (my!) fun of it. We were dropped off at our accommodation then met up again for dinner at Annie's Place - best value meal in town is the legend.

It was a good group of 21, the guide/driver and I being the only Australians. A good number of Germans, three Koreans then a smattering of NZers, Poms, Yanks, Taiwanese. Three of us were Margaret. Oh dear, just like school.
My 'home' for three days