Monday 3 October 2016

Port Augusta to Rawnsley Park Station - 24 Sept. 2016

This was planned as an easy driving day, allowing time in particular to visit the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden. I had wonderful memories of such a garden in Central Australia, the Alice Springs Desert Park, where I thought I'd pop in for half an hour which turned into half a day. Sadly, the Port Augusta version wasn't a patch on the one in Alice, to the point where it didn't keep me waiting until the 10am cafe opening time for breakfast.
Red flowers?
However, I did enjoy a short section of a cliff walk with stunning views of the head of Spencer Gulf where Matthew Flinders had landed. This was the red earth I was hoping to see on this trip.
Red cliffs and mangroves
So on to my next stop, the water tower lookout. A lot of stairs, two days in a row! Good but unexciting views of the city.
From water tower to lookout tower
Breakfast was a takeaway affair from a bakery in the main shopping centre. Fine, for what it was but I'd planned on cafe-style for the day. I was sitting on a street bench looking at the Court House, one of the cities many fine old buildings ... granted, looking across a car park!
Court House
Northern Gateway - former brewery now incorporated into a shopping centre
Onwards to Quorn. It wasn't until after I booked all my accommodation that I looked at the Pichi Richi railway timetable. Perhaps a blessing in disguise that it wasn't going to fit into my timetable. I passed it en route to Quorn – it did look fabulous! 
Pichi Richi steam train - a hit with tourists with more time (or different priorities!) than me
But on reaching Quorn I discovered that the train was expected to be 45+ minutes behind schedule. Not bad for a supposedly 1¾ hour journey!
Street frontage of Quorn's rather grand railway station
Quorn station, track-side
I had thoughts of driving to Rawnsley Park Station via Parachilna and Blinman. But a check on the roads at the Port August tourist info centre revealed that wasn't going to happen. Maps showed inconsistent road surfaces. Local knowledge confirmed the Parachilna > Blinman road is unsealed. Not good in my little car and doubly so after bucketing rain giving rise to mud at best and floods at worst.
Nevertheless, I wanted to see the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna so drove there for a late soup lunch and a lemon squash. A long way to go for a drink! Especially as there was no other way to get to Rawnsley except by retracing the whole of that drive back to Hawker.
En route to the pub I got a huge thrill - I saw four emus grazing on the old Ghan railway tracks. A wonderful sight!
Prairie Hotel, Parachilna
The Outback Highway back to Hawker - no emus this time
Finally – Rawnsley Park and my caravan park cabin! Lovely for one (i.e. me), would work for two. The bunkroom sleeps four – child size … and would be a nightmare!
It was two rolls with spinach and cheese filling for tea. It's harder than I expected to keep up my Vitamin K quota.


View from the cabin