Sunday 2 October 2016

Ouyen to Burra - 22 Sept. 2016

Next morning, I had a quick 'slow drive around town'. Ouyen looked a nicer place than the pub had led me to expect. The mobile library was in town – parked in its own parking space. I still haven't been inside one but this truck was partly 'unpacked' so I could see through the locked glass door. Quite ingenious.




Next stop was Pinnaroo, just the other side of the Victoria / South Australia border. But there was something I was watching out for – just as well I spotted it when there was little traffic about – I wasn't doing my most appropriate driving! - and there was a safe place to stop to take the photos. My little Mazda2, 2005 model, clicked over 100,000km. It's been a trusty vehicle in spite of a challenge or two I've given it. Hopefully it will see me through another 100,000.



Once into South Australia, almost immediately I started to spot the beautiful stone houses that abound in the state. A pity so many, in the country at least, are now in ruins.
Ruins - one of so many
Pinnaroo was nothing to write home about, just a chance to walk about a bit until driving on to Loxton, a really lovely town, bustling and looking prosperous. A very helpful lady at the tourist info centre gave me a bundle of information for the following day and pointed me in the right direction to get out of town. I was heading for a lavender farm where I planned to have lunch and buy some lavender soap. Ho hum. The pizzas did look delicious but there was a busload of tourists plus others so I wasn't inspired to wait. The lavender goods on sale looked tired and as though they had come from elsewhere. Very disappointing. I did indulge my mug fetish though and bought one decorated with stalks of lavender. I need another mug like I need a hole in my head!!!

Before leaving Loxton I took a drive down by the river, another suggestion of the tourist info lady. A lovely spot for caravanners and houseboat holiday makers. But it's not always that beautiful. The river floods from time to time!
The Murray at Loxton
The Tree of Knowledge by the Murray - showing flood levels
Note 1956!
Giving the tree and the flood levels a broader perspective
So what to do for lunch? Try the winery that the lovely tourist lady at Loxton had been recommending strongly. (I did wonder if she had shares! But she was spot on in suggesting this.) 
I'm not a wine drinker but did enjoy a mini yum cha lunch on the verandah overlooking stunning wetlands at Banrock Station. You can walk about the wetlands but alas, I didn't have time for that. But I did have time to shop! Although not a wine drinker, I did buy myself some prunes in port. I'm partial to a drop of port … and tokay and muscat :-)
Vines and wetlands at Banrock Station
Shortly afterwards I crossed the Murray by ferry and not terribly long after that (well, about 170km!), I arrived at Burra, the day's destination.
Waiting for the ferry at Kingston-on-Murray

Accommodation here – Paxton Cottages, three rows of stone miners cottages, about 35 in all, now let out for holiday makers like me. I loved it! 
Paxton Cottages - one of the three rows

Inside my cottage
The cottages are basic but have all you need. Really, all that's missing are the things that various accommodation providers tizz their places up with. I wished I'd been staying there longer. Mind you, the one bedroom cottage I had was ideal for me or a couple. Back in the day I doubt it would have been a lot of fun for a miner with a wife and a horde of children!