Sunday 2 October 2016

From Home to Ouyen - 21 Sept. 2016

A last minute change of plans due to recent heavy rains had me ducking and weaving through central Victoria to reach my first day's destination, Ouyen. That had a couple of favourable outcomes. I was able to easily visit Trentham Falls, the longest single-drop falls in Victoria (no match for Niagara, obviously!) which, a recent news item had informed me, were flowing beautifully. Indeed they were!
Afterwards, early lunch in Kyneton and the best foccacia I've had since I don't know when. Their mediocre coffee was forgiven.

The other lovely thing came later in the afternoon but perhaps (no perhaps about it!) that wasn't exactly good for me. Birchip is on my return route but now I went through there on the outward journey too. Naturally, I couldn't pass the award winning bakery without sampling one of its famous vanilla slices! I'll be back for more.

En route to St Arnaud, the verges were filled with flowers, the daisies of my childhood daisy chains - crowns, necklaces, bangles, ear-rings - and other daisies of some sort that were a riot of colour. Plus the odd clump of fresias and other “pretty flowers” (i.e. I have no idea what they were!)
Memories of daisy chains

Stunning!
Although there was no water on the road, there was plenty everywhere else – in ditches, channels and depressions at the side of the road, and every dam was full. I've never seen anything like it, not to mention how green the countryside was – unseen before now. 
Lush green crops, golden canola in the distance - and rain that held off!
As I drove along there was one lovely feel-good moment. Approaching a cross-road in the middle of nowhere, I noticed a farm vehicle off to my right. To be on the safe side, even though I had right of way, I slowed down. The farmer and I reached the intersection at the same time. He gave me a wave to acknowledge my slowing down - and boosted my spirits which were already high.

St Arnaud was the “stretch my legs and loo stop” break. I'm now particularly conscious of leg stretch stops. Long hours in the car without regular breaks can be just as conducive to a DVT as can a long flight. A librarian at the public library (where I have visited before) showed me to the loo via a door normally forbidden to the public. I must have looked old and desperate!
St Arnaud streetscape - How to block an unused door
Then for a walk up and down the main street when lo and behold, amongst all the beautiful old buildings, I stumbled upon the Bible Museum. Looking in the window, I was caught when the woman who spotted me came outside to drag me in. It's run by a mother and daughter who are obviously into the Bible – but no attempt at preaching. Their interest seemed to be historical as much as anything else. There were some old and interesting items there but also many facsimile copies of various codexes and even of the St John's Abbey bible, a modern day illuminated text. I love illuminated texts!


Leaving as quickly as I decently could, it was on to Birchip for the vanilla slice, eaten at a pavement table in view of the town's other claim to fame, the Mallee Bull!
Birchip's Mallee Bull
Another news item alerted me to the newfound fame of Sea Lake. Apparently you can see your reflection, or the reflection of the stars of the night sky in Lake Tyrell, just outside the town. Chinese visitors are flocking there supposedly. I stopped to look – presumably at the wrong point of the lake's shore or the wrong time of day, since all I could see was murky water and mud nearby and the more distant algae-induced pink effect. Plenty of saltbush though! If I were a Chinese tourist I'd have been feeling well and truly dudded!
The vaguely pink Lake Tyrell from the viewing platform
More saltbush than you could possibly want!

Then on to Ouyen before the shadows lengthened any further, bringing the risk of kangaroos on the road. Lovely old hotel on the outside, anything but on the inside. It's famed cuisine was nothing more than marginally above average pub grub. Say no more!
Hotel Victoria, Ouyen, in the morning sunlight