Thursday 13 October 2016

Horsham to home, via Murtoa - 01 Oct. 2016

A very special day – it was a long time coming. I'd wanted to visit here when I first found out about it 20+ years ago. For many of those years it was rarely open, and then by private negotiation – too off-putting for me. But when I decided to visit the painted silos at Brim, I thought I'd give this a try. I was rewarded with information that it would be open for the Murtoa Big Weekend, 30 Sept. > 02 Oct. This whole trip was planned around those dates.
And this is it ….
About 2/3 of the Stick Shed
The rest of it
When I walked into the Stick Shed at Murtoa, tears came to my eyes. Two years ago I was in Barcelona, visiting the Sagrada Familia … awesome! But I love the Stick Shed more:
- the vast space – approx. 900ft (275m) long, 200ft (60m) wide and 60ft (18m) high in the centre
- the stillness - not too many tourists here!
- the light – from skylights, no electricity
- the ingenuity of farmers who built this from corrugated iron, tree trunks, and quite thin metal bracing wires
It's a cathedral-like space, the purpose of which was to store wheat that couldn't be exported because of WWII.




Very few of the 560 Mountain Ash tree trunks (straight from the bush) have been replaced with metal poles. However, most have concrete reinforcing at the base, and a few have metal supports. The poles (the “sticks” of the Stick Shed) were put straight into the soil and have rotted over the years, some more than others.



It was awe-inspiring. It took my breath away. I took a lot of photos but not one of them does it justice. The place is too big, for a start. You really do have to experience it.

But back to the start of the day. I left Horsham after a good night's sleep and went back to Murtoa. The Big Weekend was just getting underway with the main street closed off, all sorts of stalls set up, the SES and CFA with hero volunteers and vehicles in attendance. I bought some earrings and what I thought was home-made jam but on closer inspection at home it's much more like the product of a cottage industry. There was honey straight from the hive but I'm not a huge fan of stringy-bark honey. And there was silverbeet and rhubarb straight from the garden but I thought the long drive home in a heated car wouldn't do them a lot of good. I did buy some definitely home-made quiche which made for a delicious late breakfast!

By then, opening time for the Stick Shed had arrived so I hot-footed it (drove really!) over there at the edge of town. At the risk of being boring, I'll say again how much I loved it. Awesome, inspiring, breath-taking, vast, peaceful. But I couldn't stay there forever.

Back again across the railway tracks, I took in a few historical sights while waiting for the art show to open at midday. An old buggy, seemingly abandonned to rot on a vacant lot, was the most impressive!


The water tower is apparently full of historical items but I backed out on seeing all the dead birds, animals, reptiles, you name it on the ground floor. Taxidermy might be a skill – or even an art – but it's not for me.


Next door was the last remaining building from an early Lutheran college plus the cap of the belltower from a building that has long since disappeared. The latter didn't make a lot of sense without a bell.


A quick up-and-down of the main street showed that I was lucky to have arrived early. There was a jive demonstration in progress, with live singer and band, but my main interest, the produce, was all but sold out.
Around the corner, the art show was a shambles. Well past opening time it finally opened. The quality of the works was not a patch on what I'd seen in the Flinders Ranges and the second-hand artworks (yes, that's how they were described) were an embarrassment. Time to hit the road!

From Murtoa, it was pretty much a drive straight home. Still plenty of water about.
Between Murtoa and Stawell
I stopped at Stawell for a leg-stretch break plus coffee and a strawberry lamington. While consuming those, I noticed a sign in the cafe saying they were vanilla slice champions. Well … couldn't resist that challenge, could I?! When I ate it later, it wasn't nearly as good as the Birchip vanilla slices.
Stawell
I had a quick stop at Ballarat too as my accelerator knee was getting a bit stiff. Coffee there too – at Macca's. I know, I know, the shame of it!
Then a pretty easy run on the home stretch. It was good to be home again, safe and sound, 3,614 km and 241 L of petrol later.



On reflection

.. This trip was an alternative to the much more costly trip along the Canning Stock Route. I'd still love to do that but being realistic …. Anyway, I've now learned first hand, what others who've done the trip before me know … the Flinders Ranges is a trip worth doing in its own right.
.. I had hoped to see the red earth of the Kimberley but that was always unrealistic. The Flinders is not quite so red and in any event, after an unusual amount of rain, plant life was lush and green beyond any normal expectations. The Ranges had their own beauty and I'm so glad I've seen it.
.. It would be good to go back and spend more time in and around Burra and the Clare Valley rather than whizzing through on the way to somewhere else. It's not so distant that that's an impossibility. I'd love to stay in the Paxton Cottages again!
.. I did manage to do and see all the things I wanted to do in the Mallee, in spite of it Raining A Lot. The Mallee, in fact everywhere I went, has also had an unusual amount of rain so being able to achieve all that I wanted couldn't be taken for granted in the end.
.. All good.
.. Deo gratias.