Sunday 2 October 2016

On the road again - September 2016

Another road trip – a decades old ambition filled and a substitute found for a newer dream.

After my Kimberley trip in 2012 (that long ago?!), doing the Canning Stock Route with Outback Spirit went to the top of my bucket list. I almost did it but financial sanity prevailed. When I stumbled across the Flinders Ranges, it was such a bargain in comparison that I had to do it - a substitute of sorts but nevertheless a wonderful place in its own right according to all those who've been there.

The date for visiting the Ranges was determined by the one time this year when the Stick Shed was to be open to the public - the first weekend in October during the Murtoa Big Weekend. I found out about the Stick Shed when looking for something to fill time while my daughter climbed at Mt Arapiles - 20+ years ago I had to play chauffeur. The Shed wasn't open then either.
Accommodation was booked, the car was checked over, I packed way too much … and I was off!

I drafted blog posts as I went but a marked lack of internet access, and even phone access while in the Flinders Ranges, means that posts are being uploaded after the event … giving me a chance to relive my latest adventure :-)


The Outback Highway, near Parachilna, SA