Tuesday 4 September 2012

The Company


There are seven singles in the full group of 26, although a couple of those are travelling with couples. I've done really well as far as seating goes. I managed a window seat first up and was joined by a miner turned farmer, now retired but still working his property. He's a wiry bloke, not too tall …. and is happy for me to have the window seat all the time!!! We talk enough to be sociable but not constantly, which suits me fine. There was some suggestion that the singles swap who they're sitting next to so we get to know each other better. I declined and the farmer said he was happy as things are. Excellent. Not sure how it would have worked anyway – too complicated to get my brain around because there is seat rotation every day anyway and that's working well.
Age range is 50s to 70s. Never did I imagine doing one of these "oldies" tours! All are Australians. They all seem to be pretty well travelled, both within Australia and overseas. I think you could count those not retired on one hand. At first I didn't think there was anyone with whom I would be friends in real life but as we loosen up, there are a couple of off-beat women who would fit in with some of my friends only too well – very funny with what some, but not me, would describe as inappropriate senses of humour.