Sunday 23 September 2012

I am swimming

I hadn't swum in years but at Cable Beach at last I got into the bathers I'd bought for the Central Australia visit but didn't use back then. It was wonderful! I was more embarrassed by the colorful bruises on my leg from my slip at Purnululu than by my not being perfect swimsuit material. Floating about, pretending to swim occasionally, was bliss.

Cable Beach Club

 














That swim was the precursor to quite a few more, mostly 'not' in swimming pools. In firsts for me, I swam in waterholes and rivers, in pools under waterfalls and, how daring can you get?!, I jumped into the water fully clothed at Mitchell Falls. I was only going to paddle my feet but by the time I got my shoes and socks off .... and it was so hot I was dry again in 20 minutes. Surprisingly, the beetroot stain on my blouse almost disappeared. Hmmm, I wonder what magic ingredient was in that particular stretch of water?!

One swim wasn't really a swim at all, rather 'find a spot to relax' on rocks that formed a natural recliner chair then wallow in the warm water as it flowed about you, finishing up with a pounding from the deceptively heavy water from a little waterfall. We went to Zebedee Springs first thing in the morning and I did wonder if it would be worth getting wet for, then having to change, so early in the day, especially as we didn't have heaps of time there. But it was wonderful ... sheltered in amongst the tall palms and rocky walls. Pure magic!
Manning Gorge, Gibb River Road

Mitchell Falls, Mitchell Plateau

NOT wet t-shirt material  :-(

Mitchell Falls campground

Emma Gorge, El Questro Station
Zebedee Thermal Springs -
'heavy' waterfall part hidden on the right

Zebedee Thermal Springs, El Questro Station



Jabiru campground, Kakadu NP

Wangi Falls, Litchfield NP