Sunday 11 November 2012

Rock Art - Leaving Mitchell Plateau

Every day I carried a light backpack with me – more of a fabric bag with straps really. In it I carried things I might need – and usually didn't. Twice, getting off the bus, I decided to travel light and leave it behind, both with dire consequences. Once was at a rock art site and my camera's SD card became full. The second was on the Yellow Waters Billabong cruise at Cooinda. At least on the latter occasion I had my phone with me and could take photos with that, after a fashion – the light was so bright it was all but impossible to see what I was actually snapping.

So it was that, coming back from Mitchell Plateau, near the King Edward River crossing, we turned off the road to this unmarked site and came to the most remarkable collection of Aboriginal rock art – only some of which I was able to photograph. Fortunately there was a second site nearby, by which time I'd replaced the SD card, but in deleting not so good pictures randomly at the first site, the pictures themselves became a bit of a muddle in terms of knowing what was taken where. But that was a minor hiccup.

Both sites have some protective fences but no signposts that they're there. Few people go there so there isn't a lot of chance of damage – although one member of our group had to be told “Don't touch!” - but no doubt looking to the future in protecting the sites from too many visitors. The art was amazing. It's also incredibly complex. As 21st century Europeans we see it as simple figures, but to the artists and the Aboriginal people looking at it, complex stories are being told. Too much for me to take it all in.
You can read a little more about this rock art site here 

At one point I could have taken photos but didn't. Again, some did in spite if being asked not to, as this was a sacred site. Aboriginal culture in this part of the world is to bury a body for a certain time and when, amongst other considerations, the bones are bare and parched, those bones are then moved to a permanent burial site. We saw some of those temporary burials, in rock niches, open to the elements, while we were there.
Not just any old rocks!














King Edward River (Munurru) Rock Art
More Photos here















Crossing the King Edward River, leaving the art behind